For the past few days, I’ve been eating like crap, feeling tired and drinking too much champagne. Gah, the holidays will do that to you, but the important thing is to not make it a habit and get back on track ( and to the gym ). This morning felt so good to get back in my normal routine and go for a run. Today I am sharing some of my favorite detox tips for getting back on track after the holiday binge.
1. Sweat it out. There is nothing better than getting outdoors or to the gym and having a great workout after overindulging. It’s a lot easier to stay in bed but get your ass out there. No one ever regrets a workout, only the ones you skip!
2. Smaller portions. First things first, do not try to balance out overeating with not eating. Skipping meals is unhealthy and can slow down your metabolism. Instead, eat slightly smaller portions. Get your body used to smaller portions in preparation for the new year and slowly reduce your calorie intake to a healthy amount.
3. Try a detox drink. One of my favorites is the TSC Pink Detox Drink. The mix of cayenne pepper, grapefruit and turmeric powder jump starts your metabolism and increases fat burning.
4. Eat a healthy breakfast. I love greek yogurt topped with blueberries and strawberries. Eating breakfast first thing in the morning will jump start your metabolism. Greek yogurt is loaded with iodine which aids in thyroid function, protein for immune building, and probiotics that help keep your intestines healthy. Topping your yogurt with antioxidant-rich berries will help lower the cholesterol in your blood.
5. Stick with leafy greens and colorful veggies. Try a salad full of dark, leafy greens with shredded carrots, sliced avocados, watermelon, cucumbers and chopped tomatoes. I try to add as many colors as possible to add lots of nutrients. Make sure not to ruin your healthy eating with the wrong salad dressing. My go-to dressing is red wine vinegar which is free of cholesterol, fat and sodium and chock full of anti-aging antioxidants. Umm hello, yes to anything anti-aging.
Hope these tips help when getting back into the swing of things! It will feel great to start 2017 on the right foot! Thanks for stopping by!